Just like your car the plumbing of your home needs to be maintained. You will find that there are several things that you can do to help keep your plumbing going strong. These things might take a little bit of time but in the long run they will be able to save you money.
Your laundry room is one of the areas that you will need to maintain. You can do the following to help out:
- Only run your washer when you have a load that is full.
- Check your hoses for wear. If replacing a hose trade in the rubber ones and get braided stainless steel hoses. These hoses will last longer as well as be more resistant when it comes to cracks and leaks.
- To keep drains from clogging have a strainer at all drains even the hose for your washer. You can find these at a hardware store made just to fit the hose for your laundry.
- Look for leaks on pipes that are exposes under the sinks.
Your bathroom is another room that you can help to maintain the plumbing.
- Use hot water once per week to help keep the drain flowing freely. Simple turn the water on hot and let it run for a bit.
- Use strainers for the shower and tub and make sure that they are cleaned regularly.
- Your toilet is not a trashcan and it should not be treated like one. Don’t flush things like cotton balls, facial tissue, sanitary products, make-up pads, or even diapers because they won’t dissolve and they can cause a clog.
If you have a septic tank you will want to make sure that you are maintaining this as well. Treat it as you need to in order to help avoid any problems with back up. The smell of a backed up septic tank is not pleasant. Not only that much you can run into problems with being able to flush your toilet once it gets to a certain point and you don’t want to end up clogging the toilet because you have to wait for a day without flushing it and end up using it several times. This is one of the things that people tend to forget about is the maintenance of their septic tank which is unfortunate because the repairs here can be very costly.
As you can see there are many things that you can do to help ensure your plumbing stays in the best shape possible. Look into all the different things that you can to do to help maintain your plumbing as these only cover a few rooms and a few helpful tips to help get you started. If you maintain your plumbing correctly you will save money and you will also find that you will be happier with the way that your water flows through the pipes once you use them instead of having instances where the water will stand for a bit before draining because it is becoming clogged.